Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PIZZA!

I love pizza! But it's just so damn fattening. So I had to find a better way to turn a not-so-good for you food, into a lower fat and calorie food. I started making these from the suggestion of a coworker (Melissa), who turned me on to Ezekiel tortillas, which I use as the crust. I tweaked it to whatever toppings I wanted.

Ezekiel tortillas can be found in the FREEZER SECTION of Whole Foods or Publix. And I emphasize FREEZER because, not only does it say on the package to store in the refrigerator or freezer, it lasts a hell of a lot longer. They come in 2 different sizes. The smaller ones are the perfect size for those of you that have kids who love pizza. They're made with sprouted organic grains, which is awesome. And they're thin. Love them! Check out all of the Ezekiel products and gluten-free products they offer: http://www.foodforlife.com/.

Pizza time!

1 Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla (whichever size you choose)
2 tbsp Muir Glen Organic tomato sauce (I suggest a low sodium sauce)
1/4 cup Mozzarella style Almond cheese (I use Lisanatti brand from Whole Foods)
Whatever toppings you want. I like Hormel Turkey Pepperoni because it has 70% less fat than regular pepperoni, onions and green bell peppers.

Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Spread the tomato sauce in a thin layer on the tortilla. Sprinkle the almond cheese on top of the sauce and place toppings over it. Veggies are ALWAYS a good idea ;) Place pizza in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut and serve!

I am a big fan of Lisanatti Mozzarella style Almond cheese (another suggestion from Melissa, thanks!) because it's lactose free, which is perfect for all those lactose intolerant people out there. You could also use the Kraft Natural Shredded Mozzarella, as that is also lactose free. I know some of you are reading this and are still saying to yourself,"Almond cheese? WTF?" But with the almond cheese you get all those good fats that you get from eating almonds. It tastes just like regular cheese (some of you are like,"Yeah right...") and it melts. Does it melt EXACTLY like regular mozzarella? No. But it sure is close enough. You could even mix half almond cheese and half Kraft natural mozzarella if you wanted to.


I do want to suggest that if you use veggies, that you use fresh veggies, because canned or bottled veggies, tend to be high in sodium. As with pretty much most canned and bottled items. Anyways, I hope you enjoy these little pizzas as much as I do. And if you make them for the kiddos, let me know if they like them...which they will...cuz they're awesome. Thanks for being healthy! 

P.S. this makes a GREAT late night snack ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ive never had ezekiel tortillas, but now I will. However, I do recommend the following recipe, I found it from Dr. Oz, its my personal favorite and its bursting with flavor!

    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/golden-ticket-pizza

    Erica V
    Erica Vergara

    ReplyDelete